Lonely Planet Experiences Private Hong Kong Tour: Around Kowloon in 8 Markets
- Wind your way through one of the world’s most densely populated neighbourhoods as you explore hong kong’s bustling markets with a local by your side
- Stop to smell the sweet aromas from the flower market stalls
- Shop for bargains at the city’s favourite street market
- Discover how a shopping mall has totally transformed vibrant kowloon
- Learn to shop for electronics, sneakers, jewelries and computers like the locals do and maybe pick up some bargains too!
- Each lonely planet experience comes with six-months free access to lonely planet’s guides app which includes over 8,000 destinations guides and unbeatable discounts to lonely planet guidebooks
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- During the tour you visit a local street market where vendors get to operate their businesses without having to pay the city's otherwise exorbitant rent. after the second world war and the chinese civil war in the 50s and 60s, hong kong was full of the poor and many refugees. to make a living, many families relied on illegally hawking goods on roads meant for cars. at the beginning of the 70s when hong kong went from a developing to a developed economy, the government at the time introduced a licensing system that would phase out these street markets by two generations. in fact, the number of licensed street vendors have shrunk from tens of thousands in the early 70s to thousands today, and there is a market disappearing every few years. one market you visit on the tour is widely considered by locals as the best in the city, and your visit will help it continue to thrive.
When warning signal on typhoon, rainstorm or thunderstorm is being hoisted by the Hong Kong Observatory, please contact Hong Kong Urban Adventures to discuss arrangements.
Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the tour.View Less