Herculaneum Express Tour by Train from Sorrento
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Parco Acheologico di Ercolano, Corso Resina, 187, 80056 Ercolano Italy
Visit of the main areas in Herculaneum ruins
Duration: 2 hours
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommend for travelers with serious medical conditions and walking problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.View Less
We toured Pompeii last year. Booked this tour this week and found it better than Pompeii. The ruins are more intact due to less destruction. You can visualize how the city looked. Norwell our guide was fantastic. Very knowledgeable, friendly and spoke excellent English.
Our guide Angella was very informative. We found the site of Herculaneum to be much better preserved than Pompeii It was smaller and less crowded. There was more artefacts to see and a museum full of art objects and jewellery that had been found plus a full size boat in another museum also on the site.
Paolo was an excellent and very informative guide - 5 stars! Herculaneum is very interesting due to it's unique circumstances post eruption - preferred over our visit to Pompeii.
tips for any travellers (especially if you are visiting during peak season/temperatures):
1. Be prepared to be patient with the trains at Sorrento to Ercolano Scavi - they are extremely disorganised. Always pay attention to the guide until you are safely on your way.
2. Take plenty of water. We froze a big bottle the night before and we were thankful for it throughout the trip.
3. Wear a hat - even if you're not a hat person.
4. Not for everyone a packed lunch would be advised. The surrounding town of Ercolano is a little "rough" so you'll probably want to enjoy a sandwich or 2 whilst on site before making your way back out for the return journey (there is only a vending machine area with seating inside the archeological site at Herculaneum).
We enjoyed the fact that Paolo allowed us to have free time post tour to explore the site and the additional exhibitions ourselves too.
Overall, really enjoyable day trip from Sorrento :)
We met our guide and managed to get a seat on the train but many were left standing and its a longish journey.
The guide led us through the town to the area but had no understanding that I was struggling with a painful knee and really struggled to keep up
I would have gone in a taxi if that option had been offered
We should also have been given a map of the place as when the guide left us we didn't know where to go as we didn't cover everything with her.
We really enjoyed the trip but it is not suitable for those with mobility problems.
You could go here on your own by train but travelling with a guide just takes all the hassle out and leaves you stress free to enjoy the experience which is brilliant.