Constanța city - day trip to Black Sea coast, walking tour and sea food, private

11 hr

E-Ticket

Day Trip

Pickup Service

Group Tour

Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Constanta, Constanta, Constanta County, Southeast Romania

Constanta lies on the western coast of the Black Sea.

An ancient metropolis, Romania's oldest continuously inhabited and the country's largest sea port, Constanta traces its history some 2,500 years.

Originally called Tomis, legend has it that Constanta was visited by Jason and the Argonauts after finding the Golden Fleece.

Founded by Greek colonists from Miletos in the...
Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Constanta, Constanta, Constanta County, Southeast Romania

Constanta lies on the western coast of the Black Sea.

An ancient metropolis, Romania's oldest continuously inhabited and the country's largest sea port, Constanta traces its history some 2,500 years.

Originally called Tomis, legend has it that Constanta was visited by Jason and the Argonauts after finding the Golden Fleece.

Founded by Greek colonists from Miletos in the 6th century BC, Tomis was conquered by the Romans in 71 BC and renamed Constantiana by Roman Emperor Constantine the Great in honor of his sister.

Constanta flourished during the 13th century, when Genoese merchants dominated the Black Sea but, the city began to decline two centuries later, when it fell under Turkish rule.
During the Ottoman era its name was shortened to Constanta .

Fine mansions and hotels were built in the 19th century when King Carol I decided to revive Constanta as a port and seaside resort.

The third largest city in Romania, Constanta is now an important cultural and economic centre, worth exploring for its archaeological treasures and the Old Town's architecture.

Its historical monuments, ancient ruins, grand Casino, museums and shops, and proximity to beach resorts make it the focal point of Black Sea coast tourism.

Open-air restaurants, nightclubs and cabarets offer a wide variety of entertainment.

Duration: 4 hours

Stop At: Constanta Casino, Constanta Romania

The story of the Constanta Casino is sadly the story of Romania’s many splendid, yet abandoned historical monuments. A great piece of Art Nouveau architecture from the early 20th century, the Casino was once the symbol of Romania’s main port, Constanta, on the shore of the Black Sea.

No other monument illustrates so perfectly the Belle Epoque in Constanta like the building of the Casino. Dating from the first years of the last century, the Casino was built at the initiative of Romania’s first King, Carol the 1st. It was inaugurated in 1910, and until the Second World War, it was the main seaside meeting point for the rich tourists who enjoyed to gamble. The foundations of the Constanta Casino were modified three times depending on the architects’ perspectives, Daniel Renard and Petre Antonescu.

Duration: 15 minutes

Stop At: Constanta Beach, Constanta Romania

Most visitors simply pass Constanța through on their way to a beach holiday or spend the day as part of a Danube river cruise, though the city's decent hotels, very good restaurants and assortment of interesting museums scattered around the port area justify an overnight stay.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Ovidiu Square, Piata Ovidiu, Constanta 900745 Romania

The former Independence Square (now Ovidiu Square), where they found the town hall (now the seat of National Museum of History and Archaeology) is a place full of history.

Towards the end of the nineteenth century, Ovidiu Square general line was given by houses with two levels stuck together (describing the square as a medieval inner courtyard), roof tiles, wrought iron balconies.

The square was full of shops, cafes, summer gardens, etc.

Duration: 15 minutes

Stop At: The Roman Edifice with Mosaic, Strada Ovidiu nr 12 next to the National History & Archeology Museum, Constanta 900734 Romania

The Roman Mosaic Edifice is located near the Museum of National History and Archaeology and was discovered in 1959 during some civil works undertaken in the Ovidiu Square. Further research discovered that the monument was built in the fourth century and gradually spread until around the sixth century, when it stopped. In its glory times the edifice represent the largest building of its kind in the whole Roman Empire and serve as a link between the port and the ancient city, the place where the conduct its trade and storage of goods. Originally, the building spans three of the four terraces of Tomis harbor waterfront. The first terrace was located at the current Ovidiu Square and connects with one of the ancient city's public markets. Some huts and impressive hall with mosaic pavement kept occupied the next terrace of the building. The mosaic hall represent actual place of meeting of the merchants and officials of that time. Last terrace was situated in the ancient harbor quays and warehouses still contains a series of vaulted limestone covered today. The building was equipped with a rainwater drainage system, yet functional. With the fallen of Tomis fortress in the sixth century, the building has not been maintained and degraded. However, being made of material of good quality mosaic the floor has been preserved very well. Currently, from the total area of 2000 square meters of mosaic pavement is preserved only a portion of about 850 square meters. The room's floor is a unique beauty and consists of two distinct parts: a frame that surrounds and includes room and vegetal and geometric mosaic itself, made up of pebbles of different colors: white, red, black, green, yellow.
The museum exhibition provides collections of goods found in stores building: anchors, bars, weights, paints and resins amphorae, statues, earthen lamps collections, marble, polychrome mosaic pillar heads.

Duration: 15 minutes

Stop At: The Mosque of Constanta - Minaret, 1 Crangului Street, Constanta 900745 Romania

The Grand Mosque of Constanța stands on the site of the former Mahmudia Mosque, built in 1822 by Hafız Hüsseyin Pașa and named after Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II.

The Grand Mosque of Constanța was commissioned in 1910 by Romanian King Carol I.

Construction began on 24 June 1910 with the first cornerstone laid in the presence of Spiru Haret, contemporary Romanian Minister of Religious Affairs; Sefa Bey, contemporary Ottoman ambassador in Bucharest; and the Ottoman consul in Constanța.

The project was funded by the Romanian Government and entrepreneur Ion Neculcea, and finished construction in 1912.

Duration: 15 minutes

Constanța city - day trip to Black Sea coast, walking tour and sea food, private photo 1 Constanța city - day trip to Black Sea coast, walking tour and sea food, private photo 2 Constanța city - day trip to Black Sea coast, walking tour and sea food, private photo 3 Constanța city - day trip to Black Sea coast, walking tour and sea food, private photo 4
View All
See more Images
Lowest Price Guaranteed
If you find a better price, we'll match it - just send the details to hertz-support@placepass.com.
Lowest Price Guaranteed
If you find a better price, we'll match it - just send the details to hertz-support@placepass.com.

Important Details

Included
  • Air-conditioned vehicle
  • Entry/Admission - The Roman Edifice with Mosaic
  • Entry/Admission - The Mosque of Constanta - Minaret
  • Bottled water
  • Private transportation
  • Professional tour guide - English
  • Entry/Admission - Constanta Beach
  • WiFi on board
  • Entry/Admission - Constanta Casino
  • Entry/Admission - Ovidiu Square
  • All Fees and Taxes
Not Included
  • Lunch
Departure Point
Traveler pickup is offered

9:30 AM
Additional Info
  • Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
  • Not wheelchair accessible
  • Near public transportation
  • Infant seats available
  • Most travelers can participate
  • This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Voucher Requirements

You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.

View Less

Cancellation Policy

For a full refund, cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.