Lakes of Madeira Levada Walk from Funchal
Upon arrival at the levada, head eep in the valley of the western plateau. Marvel at the rock pools, which have been carved over millions of years...
Upon arrival at the levada, head eep in the valley of the western plateau. Marvel at the rock pools, which have been carved over millions of years by the water as it runs towards the sea, forming magnificent waterfalls and cascades. Walk through various types of terrain, from the flat levada to the challenging mountains, along unmarked paths as you make your way up to the oldest mountain in the western side of the island.
If summer, be sure to bring your bathing suit so you can take a refreshing dip in the invigorating and crystal clear mountain waters.
Your tour concludes with a drop-off back at the original departure point at around 5pm.
We do pickups at hotels or pre-arranged meeting points in the Funchal area
- Funchal Harbour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Clients must be prepared for all situations due to changing weather conditions.
- If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- It's mandatory to arrange a small picnic to carry with you along the day (food to buy during the walk is not available)
- Sports shoes with a good grip or hiking boots are recommended
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.View Less
Weather was terrible so terrible that this trip should be canceled, but it wasn't. This levada was boring not much views to see, not many landscapes, and nope no swimming in lakes as some may expect after reading description of this trip. Moreover trip back to Funchal was terrible and long, we were the last to drop off even when our hotel was the first on the way back, we were driving around city of Funchal in very bad conditions before we finnaly got back from that terrible trip. I do not recommend this levada trip! To prove my bad experience I attached some screens.
A very wet and cloudy day and as a result at the start of our walk our guide - Sarah - did give us a group of 7 the option to cancel.
However the unanimous view was to go ahead and despite the weather, which restricted the views which we were told were stunning!, Sarah did her best to make it an enjoyable walk.
Would like to do this again in dry weather with good visibility as in hindsight though we may have been better to have opted for the alternative walk our Sarah offered us!